For example, here are some steps to take around the barn:
- Stock up on quality hay and store it in a dry place
- Drain or winterize outdoor hoses and waterlines
- Installed and check water tank heaters
- Fences and gates should be repaired, and high-traffic areas might need to be rebuilt or topped off to help manage mud in the coming months
- Move all medications, chemicals, and other liquids to a frost-proof area
- Give all barn areas a thorough cleaning
- Check over winter blankets and make any needed repairs or replacements
- Clean and store any sheets, flymasks, or tack that won’t be used
- Have your horse trailer serviced and park it out of the way
In conclusion, Cherokee Feed & Seed has a wonderful selection of equine feeds, supplements and supplies to keep them at their best, no matter the season.
Lastly, we also carry quality hay year-round.
Article Source: Fall Maintenance for Healthy Winter Horses from Kentucky Equine Research